Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Photographs

David: This trip consists of many moments of indecision for me. As I drive the support van through back country roads, images are constantly passing by that I wish I had a photo of. A photo of beauty so I could remember it. A striking visual. Something I’d like to share here with you.

Most of the time I don’t stop. Partly because the thing I want to photograph is now 100 yards behind me and I’d have to turn around and go back. Partly because I don’t know if the person who owns the house I want to photograph wants me to photograph it.

Sometimes I question myself. Why do I think this is memorable enough to record it?


Many middle class and upper class homes in the Florida Panhandle have elaborate gates and built up brick pillars at the end of their drives facing the road. Most times there is also a fence around the property, but sometimes there is only the front gate and pillars. I wonder what all the fences are about?  And the gates? Trying to recreate lost glory? Keeping out wild life? Trying to keep out other people?



It seems strange to me, and therefore, worth taking a picture of. But what does that say to the homeowner?



There’s a different feeling when it comes to taking pictures of people. Several days ago I spent almost 2 hours in conversation with Mr. Charlie, who was selling boiled peanuts along the road. His cousin was with him. We didn't become friends in 2 hours. But he did share observations about his life. I shared observations about mine. I learned a whole lot about life in Northern Florida, economics, politics, and race relations from Mr Charlie. I wish I had a photograph of him, for my own record, and to share it with you.

But whenever I thought about asking him if I could take a picture, it didn’t feel right. It felt like it would change the connection between us. We weren’t friends, but I hadn’t treated him like an object, and he hadn’t acted like one. To ask to take his picture seemed to me like it would change that. And I valued the quality of the connection we had made more than I valued a picture.

Today I read this article at this link about Susan Sontag.  She talks about this dynamic with $64 words I don’t have access to. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment