Saturday, April 22, 2023

One Last Desert





Chris: I had a nice little final desert ride today and by the time I finished it was 94 degrees and I was faint from the heat.  Ascending to the mountains, the temperature dropped 20 degrees.



We had a great visit at the Jacumba Branch Library with Branch Manager Sarah Misquez (middle) and employee Patricia LeConte (right).  They have an excellent collection as part of the San Diego County Library system where materials circulate among the 38 branches in the county.




The library sits about 100 yards from the Mexico border.  Sarah told us stories of families gathering on both sides of the wall to talk and visit when the wall was just two strands high. Just a couple of years ago, before the wall was extended up into the mountains outside Jacumba,  beautiful  horses from Mexico would wander over at night and walk down the streets of Jacumba. 



Hotel options in the area are expensive and we had no luck finding a good campground.  This place was recommended to us but upon arrival when I saw one old nude man walking around that was just too much for me so we left and are now in this fine motel that has running water, AC and a door that locks.  That’s really all we need. 



This is not a good look. But it’s my current reality.





1 comment:

  1. Chris...oh, how I love this post! The serious (photos of you & D with the wall behind you) and the "perfectly Chris" photos of ClothingOptional "resort" & your ankle tan lines. Thank you for making me think and making me smile.

    ReplyDelete