Friday, February 24, 2023

30 miles from Holt, Florida to Pensacola

Chris: I rode through miles of state forest as I approached Blackwater River State Forest and State Park where we camped for the night.   Raccoons had fun at our campsite while we slept.  Lesson learned:  no matter how tired we are put the food—all of it in the car overnight.  Raccoons have excellent fine motor skills.


 

Leaving Holt, Florida we were able to ride a 7-mile stretch of a beautiful rail to trail that went right through swamp land.  I kept thinking of the workers that constructed that original rail track.  That could not have been a fun job.

 


Stopped at the Santa Rosa Public Library for some directions and to look around.  Librarians are the best.

And then after battling some serious traffic we found ourselves on the beautiful white sands of Pensacola Beach!  It’s simply fabulous!
 


We are experiencing the warm and generous hospitality of Robert and Michelle Oxender who fed us and let us do laundry.  We got to sleep in a bed!  And had wonderful conversation.  It’s exactly what my body and spirit needed.   David and I both enjoy meeting new people on this journey but there’s nothing to compare with seeing old friends after this many days on the road.    My soul feels restored.  Thank you!
 


 

1 comment:

  1. You make me wish that I lived on your trail route so I could hear about your adventures first hand. Maybe I will find an Airbnb & pretend I live there so you & David can crash for the night. (Doug, are you in?)

    ReplyDelete