Thursday, February 23, 2023

50.22 miles from De Funiak Springs Florida to Blackwater River State Park in Holt, Florida

Chris: We are a week in to this ride and a sort of rhythm is shaping up. 

The night before I ride I chart out my route, studying the map so as to not get lost.  I have learned that lesson the hard way.  I pump up my tires on the bike and fill up water bottles and put a pile of snacks on the front seat of the car so critters won’t eat them overnight.

I wake up early and lie in the tent wondering for a brief moment why I decided to do this ride.  I play Wordle and then make my Words With Friends moves against Henry Braun.  It gives me a goodly shot of adrenaline to beat him so then I get up and put on the ghastly biking clothing.

Sometimes I eat dinner leftovers for breakfast but I prefer yoghurt with some oatmeal and a banana and I try to drink a lot of water before I begin.

Checklist on the bike includes water, snacks, phone, sunscreen, sunglasses.  I put my pepper spray around my neck for possible stray dog encounters.  I turn my bike light on and then there’s no putting it off.  If we are camping too far from the route David drives me to the Adventure Cycling bike route and then I’m off.

David goes back to camp and I assume he begins breaking down camp and packing up but I don’t actually know.  He could go back to bed.  I would if I were him.

At some point along the way David finds me and even though I tell him that a peanut butter sandwich would be delicious he often finds something fantastic from a gas station.  I never knew the food from a gas station could taste so good.  We sit and talk a spell and depending on the route and the road he will ride with me for some miles.



It’s been super fun to have Anne along and we’ve had some good belly laughs about our adventures in Botswana.  I have a couple different men who will be joining us for segments of the ride and I just want to go on record right now that I will not be able to keep up.  I am riding at what feels like the speed of a sloth.

We’ve had great weather for the most part but I must do a better job at applying sunscreen more often.  One morning we woke up to a wet tent.  Probably due to the two big sows bundled up in their respective sleeping bags with the CPAP and charging station humming away combined with the outdoor temperature.




For the reluctant camper that he was I give David an A for attitude.  Well, there was that first night when we didn’t have appropriate sleeping bags and he was a super Grumpy Bear.   That’s why I give him and A and not an A plus.   But we’re only in our first week.  He has time to bring his grade up.

My brother asked me a question about how I’m feeling about the ride. I’d go back and check but it’s too hard writing this from my phone and I don’t want to risk having to start over.   Riding is both interesting and can be incredibly boring.  I’m aware of the risk of riding on all kinds of roads but this trip is just an itch that needed to be scratched.   Is it insane?  Yes.  But I want to raise money for the library and this seemed like a good idea at one time. I have a lot of time to think and ponder and sing and meditate.


 

Today I rode past an amazing pine forest.   State parks are amazing.  We love them so much.

Now we’re going to eat some chicken and veggie instant meals that our good friend Kathy Fenton-Miller prepared for us .  Sure sounds better than cooking tonight.



5 comments:

  1. I do enjoy your recap of your experiences!!’This could end up
    In a book! Your spontaneous humor would certainly entertain us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are using the wrong animal imagery. The tortoise and the hare is a much better analogy. You will win this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris. This is Betty Kurtz. The T an H comment above is from me, the encourager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What everyone doesn't know is that this is exactly how you recap your day to me when we are sitting in the living room!
    -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. (hans) Wow, FLA must be flush with paint, i've never bwfore seen a bike path with line paint showing alligators wher the edge of the path is located. & thx for the window onto your day. Ride in wellness my sister.

    ReplyDelete