Thursday, February 23, 2023

Jim, Making Community & a Good Life


Jim and his community are on the edge of a number of circles society has formed. But they are at the center of the circle they have formed themselves. And they find joy in living there.
 

David: We pulled into Bass Haven Campground yesterday afternoon, outside De Funiak Springs. Bass Haven is run by and populated by interesting people. The man painting a door came over to greet us when we pulled up. Within the space of 5 minutes, he informed us that he is leaving next month for 8 months on the road playing rock and roll, which is how he makes his living, that the library in De Funiak Springs is the oldest library in Florida continuously operated in the same building, that there is a completely round, spring fed lake in the middle of De Funiak Springs, one of only 2 in the United States, and that he would have to leave us now to return to painting his door.

As he left, Jim made his way slowly down the hill, using his white tipped cane to be sure his path over the stones was clear.  Jim welcomed us and told us a bit about the campground. The campground is owned by his cousin. Jim has worked here for 4 years.

There are maybe 20 RVs on-site. Smaller and older than most we’ve seen at most other campgrounds. Most of the people here are on a monthly lease. Some came here during the COVID outbreak to escape restrictions other states instituted. Some sold houses in other States, planning to come to Florida, buy land and build new. Jim said that hasn’t worked for almost anybody: land is scarce and prices are high. Some came to work on construction in this area: there is a lot of construction, but finding a place to rent is almost impossible. They can live with Jim.

Jim said their rents are more moderate than other campgrounds in the area. He gets calls from people every day wanting to rent a spot. But Jim only rents to people after he meets them. “I am building a quality community with quality people,” he explained. “But there is only one rule: no drama!”  

The group has periodic potlucks together - not so much to save money, but to make personal connections with each other. There is a memorial plaque on the corner of the dock over Jim’s shoulder in the picture below to “Allen,” a Vietnam Veteran, who found a place here where he could walk his dogs and be friendly with people. I’m not sure what else he did, or was capable of doing. But that’s all he needed to do to belong here. Allen died in 2021 at 66 years old. 



Jim has retinitis pigmentosa, an inherited eye disease that is progressively robbing him of his vision. But he is cheerful.  “I put my vision to good use when I had it,” he told me.  “I worked in Alaska for 26 years, and had my boy there. Now, I’m fortunate enough to have a job where I can support my family. My son goes to school, my wife works in De Funiak Springs. My mother lives over in that little cabin there - I can look after her. My Father lived there until he died just before Christmas.”

I don’t write this to ignore the very real challenges - and problems - Jim and the others at Bass Haven face. But I did leave there this morning with a renewed sense that people who face challenges in life (which is all of us) face them better together.

3 comments:

  1. I love this story. It's so inspiring. BK

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an amazing little community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are acquiring a collection of amazing stories. Thanks for sharing. Dan

    ReplyDelete