Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Boom. Done.



Chris: Boom.  Done.  St. Augustine to San Diego by the numbers

2,611:  miles biked from St. Augustine to San Diego

701:  miles biked by David

100:  percent chance I will one day own an e-bike 

77.6:  highest number of miles ridden in a day

60:  riding days

44:  meals cooked by David on Coleman stove

40:  nights in tent

33:  fastest mph downhill speed on bike

16:  meals from gas stations

15:  least number of miles ridden in a day

13:  nights in hotels

12:  libraries visited

7:  rest days

6:  bugs I swallowed

6:  pennies I found on the road

5:  minutes spent in San Diego after reaching the Pacific Ocean

3:  times I became dizzy from heat while riding

3:  requirements for completing such a ride—determination, discipline and a good butt cream.

2.4:  slowest speed while walking bike partway up mountain

2:  biked with socks on hands because I couldn’t find my gloves

2:  times I fell from bike

2:  number of oceans my bike tires have been dipped into

2:  rattlesnakes sunning on road

1:  cried during meltdown on I-10 in Arizona

1:  number of cities I enjoyed riding through or around.  Tucson for the win.

0:  percent chance I’ll ride coast to coast again

0:  flat tires. (Yay)

0: number of texts from my three sons saying the following:  "I love you so much Mom and I miss you and can’t wait for you to come home."  (It’s not too late)

0: regrets

Too many to count:  Mardi Gras beads I avoided skidding on, cows I fell in love with, songs I sang as I biked, complaints about sore muscles, exclamations of joy at the beauty of this land, roadkill in every state, number of times I loudly yelled “awwww” at cute cows.

7 comments:

  1. Nope, you're not done. You'll still be talking about this trip for years and years so it will always keep going.
    -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I’ll be too busy planning the next one. I will need your help. Again.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's a lot of satisfying statistizing. You now are bono fide , joining the ranks of every-jot-&-title bikers (Hans)

    ReplyDelete
  4. every future ride will be a whiter shade of pale. Now that you are an expert camper, dont rule out the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O bike trail from Pittsburg to DC (H)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or the virginia creeper trail at abingdon VA, or a sparkling springs - SNP skyline drive loop (,H)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Chris and David. And welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats.. both of you..

    In case you need info about discount furniture collection take a look at here.

    ReplyDelete