Monday, April 24, 2023

Gratitude



Chris: I met no other bikers on this trip who were  as ill-prepared as David and me for a cross country bike ride.  There might be some good reasons for that.  When David experienced a heart attack in November I was ready to give up the trip but he didn’t want me to give up my dream. We put plans on hold and focused on his rehab and when he got the green light from his doctor we got back into planning mode.

We do one thing very well though and that is surround ourselves with friends and people who have far more expertise in certain areas than we do. A special thanks to this cast of characters:


Thanks to Doug Shuman who shared the dream from the beginning and always encouraged me to go for it.  You were invaluable in last minute preparations and continue to take care of the house in our absence.  Not known to mince words you have said a few times “everything you guys do is so half-assed.”  It’s true!  Which is why we’re so lucky to have you in our life!


Thanks to Josh Torrans for building a bike for me that would withstand hours of pounding on many rough surfaces.  Josh, you never batted an eye when I told you my dream and immediately started thinking of the kind of bike that would get me from coast to coast without me knowing much of anything about the workings of a bike.  Your handiwork was admired by many bike lovers on this trip.


Thanks to Anne Powers West who rode with me the first nine days of the trip in Florida and taught us so much about finding good places to camp.  And showed me the importance of stopping to smell the flowers and take pictures.


Thanks to Tony Ruacho who rode with me from New Orleans to the outskirts of Austin and taught me so much about road safety and protected me from loose dogs in Louisiana and eastern Texas.  Thanks also for showing us how to find more direct routes which shaved off many miles across the country.  Yay!


Thanks to Tanya Marsh who understands that biking requires much more than just strong legs and helped me prepare and strengthen my previously non-existent core muscles.  You were always and remain encouraging of this endeavor.  Thank you for taking on this 65 year old.


A special thanks to Patty Buckhold, Director of the Marcellus Library for managing the fund-raising aspect of the trip and setting up and updating the blog.   I am so thrilled to see you thriving in your role.  Thanks to the Marcellus Library Board (past and present).  You are total rock stars and I consider myself among the luckiest to have worked with you for so many good years.  Thank you for supporting this trip.


Thanks to Kay McAdam of the Marcellus News who printed stories of our adventure in the paper and not only financially contributed to the cause  but invited others to do so as well. Thanks for all the encouragement when my spirits were low.


We have been moved by the stories that were shared with us as we traveled across the country.  We have listened to stories of pain, loss, joy,  yearning and celebration.  We have shared a few of these on the blog but there are many more that we carry in our spirits.  We will not forget all of you that we have encountered along the way.  Thank you.  


To all the librarians, staff and volunteers we met:  I am humbled by your work, your determination and the vital roles you play in your communities.  The country needs you more than ever.  Thank you for taking time to talk with us and show us your libraries and talk about the challenges you face in your important work.


We were encouraged on a daily basis by receiving calls, texts and emails from friends, family and our beloved church family which were so appreciated and kept us motivated to carry on.


Thanks to all of you who donated to the ride which will benefit the Marcellus Library, my beloved sacred space.  Thank you for reading our musings along the way.


Thanks to all of you who provided food, beds, laundry services and good conversation along the way.  A big shoutout to Howard and Melody, Anne, Robert and Michelle, Jason and Reyna, Don and Ann, Harold and Elba,  Doug and Jenell and Anne’s friends in Tallahassee. The respite from the road was good for our bodies and souls.


And finally to David, my partner in life and on this trip.  I hesitate to call it the trip of a lifetime but it kind of was and I’m so lucky to have done it with you.  Thank you for so good naturedly embracing this dream and bringing your patience, good humor, flexibility and listening skills to me and everyone you met along the way.  In a fractured world people need to be listened to and you do it so well. Thank you for gently prodding me when I didn’t feel like getting on the bike on those cold, windy mornings and reminding me that I could do this. Thanks for cooking!  You can no longer call yourself an inexperienced camper!  We will be sitting in our easy chairs recalling memories of this trip the rest of our lives.  I am full of gratitude.  



In the words of the Psalmist “my cup runneth over.”  Surely goodness and mercy have followed me every mile of this journey.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Just learned about your blog. I am now following with interest. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always knew you would do it, no matter what I was telling you.
    -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hans) i love that mileage picture of san diego. I am sad i wasnt able to see it with you in person. I magine you are so thrilled and very satisfied with this tremendous accomplishment. I will never cease to be glad for the kindness you presented in inviting me to join you for a part of the ride. And i cherish the reality of the long solitary soul filling hours you spent singing your self into stamina and joy and the sweet sleep of the laborer.
    Thank you for doing what i could not.

    ReplyDelete